ramblings

Archive for January, 2011

MAC address to manufacturer listing

by on Jan.30, 2011, under Computing, Networking

Found this listing very useful for forensics, among other things.

Leave a Comment :, , more...

Lenovo laptop and Kingston SSD

by on Jan.26, 2011, under Computing

I came by a Kingston SSD the other day. Installed in a Lenovo T61 with Lucid Lynx. Performance is great!

Strange thing, however,¬† is the SSD would not respond to a warm-restart and the T61 would report a HDD error during POST; cold starts were fine. After some messing around trying to figure out a solution, I changed the SATA setting from AHCI to Compatibility mode. Things started working fine from there onwards although I’m not pleased since its a workaround.

Leave a Comment :, , , , more...

PPPoE on the Draytek 2910

by on Jan.11, 2011, under Networking

Last morning the Internet connection through my Draytek 2910 at home failed. Usually restarting the Draytek would fix it. This time it refused to come back up. Then I connected a PC directly to the GPON device and created a PPPoE dialer on WinXP and the connection came up in a flash! That’s strange, I thought. Plugged the DrayTek back and tried changing the MTU, the PPP authentication and some other parameters. No luck.
Had a chat with Troy about this strange behaviour, he was also stumped.
The ISP tech came over this morning and meddled around with the device and no luck. I suggested that he connect the ISP standard router and configure it with my PPPoE parameters. He did and the link came up! So he left with the factually correct but useless¬† statement that “something was wrong with the Draytek”

Next I wiresharked the line to see what was going over the wires. I noticed the PADI was going out with the display name I’d configured on the Draytek for this connection! So obviously the so-called Display Name was NOT just that… it was being actively used as the service name in the PPPoE conversation.

Draytek 2910 WAN Setup page

Troy called me just then, after some discussion with his cronies and suggested that I remove the display name. The wireshark log confirmed Troy’s statement and figured that this must be the reason. Blanked out the Display Name in WAN Setup and… I had working Internet!

So now, its clear that something changed at the ISP end (although they vehemently denied it), since this device was working fine with these parameters till early last morning.

2 Comments :, more...